[lug] physical/logical network interfaces

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Mar 22 13:57:46 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:01 -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:

> Still nothing that would suggest why it wants to have one interface serve
> for both.
>
> I'll have to see what I can dig up in /proc land, per Ralf's suggestion.
>
> Hugh

In Linux Land, IP addresses belong to the _machine_, not the interface.
This means that any interface can pick up packets for any configured IP
address.  Usually this only happens when the interface is in promiscuous
mode or if the NIC supports multiple MAC addresses.

I believe the proc settings to allow or prevent this is rp_filter and
arp_filter.  A handy file to read
is /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt if you have the
kernel source on the system.

I think it's funny that you're having this problem.  The reason I know
about these files is that I had to figure out how to allow it for my
laptop so that the wireless and wired interfaces could work
interchangeably.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>