[lug] Finding devices in /dev, gphoto2 permissions

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 23:02:31 MST 2005

Stephen Queen wrote:
> Is there a simple way to determine which special file in
> /dev a device is associated with. For example, I know from
> using lsusb the device and bus number
>
> bus:device
>
> or from lspci
>
> bus:slot:func
>
> how can I determine the special file that I would then use
> to mount the device?

Hmm...seems like there should be an app to do this but there isn't
(don't think you can directly figure out driver or /dev/ file using
lspci or lsusb, so the simple answer seems to be that you can't).

If you look at lspci -vvv (especially with -m to simplify it), it gives
mainly low level setup details like IRQ and addresses, it does very
little with respect to drivers or devices (the bus doesn't care about
that part), but it does give you one or two clues. Maybe someone will
one day write a program that goes through the device discovery process
and prints out the details as it goes (without actually doing anything).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net