[lug] local timezone bad after update

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 18:10:06 MST 2005

I did a massive yum update on a Fedora Core 2 box. Now the timezone is
all messed up and I CAN'T make it do the right thing. If I tell my clock
to display Denver time zone, it works right. If I tell it to use local
time zone, it fails badly...I cannot, in any way, force or make it think
local time zone is Denver...I think it is a bug because everything on
the system says local timezone is Denver. Something is not right,
setting it to local timezone should not be off by 3 hours (or 21 hours
depending on how you look at it).

I use KDE, and the KDE menus and preferences all say that I am on Denver
timezone, and that my clock on the cmos is set to local not to UCT. NTP
is not enabled. /etc/sysconfig/clock says:
ZONE="America/Denver"
UTC=false
ARC=false

(what the heck is ARC?)

I'm at the point I want to find the responsible app and rewrite the code
to never allow anything but local timezone = Denver, it's so frustrating
to spend so much time trying to make this machine recognize that local
timezone is Denver and that the cmos clock is not UCT. It only does this
to me after updates on one machine and it always takes hours to figure
it out, then I don't know what fixed it (some updates only show once a
minute, which is when the clock updates the hour/minute part). What file
can I manually edit to force this?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net