[lug] Finding devices in /dev, gphoto2 permissions

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Mar 24 20:33:27 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 19:40 -0700, Scott Herod wrote:
> Be aware that the index after the /dev/sda is based on the partition on
> the USB device.  Also, if you keep plugging USB devices in, I am pretty
> sure that they will march down the list of scsi devices, sda, sdb, sdc,
> and so on.  To reset that, "rmmod usb-storage" after umounting the device.
>
> Scott

They do march down the list and then some.  We had one situation where
we had to copy some files to about 40 usb thumb drives and it just kept
right on going (at least my memory says it does :).

One interesting thing I noticed was that when I was booted via knoppix
and copying the files from a hard drive to the thumb drives, it didn't
increment the device name.  Of course my memory of it all could just be
failing. :)

Hugh