[lug] DSL ISPs

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 25 17:05:35 MST 2005

Alisdair Davey wrote:
> [Is there a way to search the LUG archive? I'm sure this question has come
>  up before! It might even have been me who asked a while ago, but that was
>  when Qwest were deciding I couldn't get DSL even after saying I could!]
>
> I will shortly be in need of an ISP (aside from MSN!) for Qwest DSL (I'm in
> part of Superior where Qwest is my only choice!). I'm interested in who
> people use? I need a company that will allow me to run servers and do things
> that generally they don't like you to do!

I use Qwest Basic as ISP on QWest ADSL.  For $9 or $10 you get IP
service (single dynamic address) with no cap on bits/month.  It's
cheaper than anything else I found.  I believe you can pay more for a
static IP and e-mail, etc.  I run a couple of light-duty servers and
have had no problem.  I have not encountered any unpalatable filtering
or traffic shaping.  Downtime and high packet loss events have been very
infrequent, and I'm generally very satisfied, FWIW.