[lug] Help Getting Laptop CD Working

John Karns jkarns at etb.net.co
Mon Mar 28 10:03:05 MST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, George Sexton wrote:

> I have a new Sony Vaio laptop with SUSE 9.2 on it and I'm having
> problems playing CDs:
>
> Sound does work I get various system noises, and the test in the sound
> control panel plays some music.
>
> The KDE Sound player comes up and identifies the disc and starts playing
> it, but no music comes out the speakers or headphone jack.
>
> I've brought up the KDE Mixer panel, and varified muting isn't turned,
> etc.
>
> Under Windows, the CD Play works for playing music.
>
> At this point, I'm really stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Possibly an issue of whether the CD device is being seen by the kernel as
ATA or as a SCSI device under scsi emulation.  If the scsi emulation
modules are being loaded, then you might try rmmod'ing them to run it as
pure ATA.  Or the contrary - if the scsi emulation modules are _not_ being
loaded, try loading them.

--
John Karns