[lug] debian and sysV init scripts

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 30 19:57:14 MST 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
[...]
> Nope, you understood.  I think I had forgotten that all we were really
> talking about was run level 2 (that and some redhat habits die hard,
> esp. when I have to use it at work).

Rather than delete/recreate the link, I'd move the S link to an s link
(e.g., S20ssh to s20ssh).  That will keep /etc/init.d/rc from running it
but keeps its start order and target within easy reach.

Besides runlevel 2, you might look at 0, 1, and 6 to see if you need to
do the same to K links.  Usually it won't hurt to stop a stopped service
but maybe it will matter occasionally.

HTH,
Dave