[lug] Graphical clickable motd

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 15:38:07 MST 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I've get a system set up that is using the NoMachine software (kind of
> cool actually), and need to set up a motd for gnome and kde to tell people
> not to do compute intensive stuff on the terminal server.  I'd like the
> motd/notice to be a little gui window with an OK button that pops up
> everytime gnome/kde is started.

Haven't actually used this, but I've been poking around on Fedora in the
/etc/X11/. In this case, gdm is used (rather than xdm or kdm), but other
distros might use a different login manager (and none at all if startx
starts X11). Fedora has /etc/X11/gdm/Init, and it says if you have an
executable file or script there named "Default", it will run at login
prior to any user specific setup. There are similar PreSession/ and
PostSession/ subdirectories, and a "Default" file. If there is some
utility program that simply does a popup based on a script, you could
probably add that. If not, I could easily make a Qt popup that reads an
MOTD that you create in a file for free for you. (not everyone likes Qt
licensing, but it is GPL)

> A quick and dirty would be to modify the splash screen, but it wouldn't
> force the users to acknowledge it.  Does anyone have any ideas about how
> to tie in to the gnome/kde session start up process?

I think kdm has a similar setup if you use that instead of gdm, and xdm
standards likewise. Is gdm your login manager?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net