[lug] Graphical clickable motd

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Apr 2 14:06:35 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 23:02 -0500, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 4:44 PM, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> > I've get a system set up that is using the NoMachine software (kind of
> > cool actually), and need to set up a motd for gnome and kde to tell people
> > not to do compute intensive stuff on the terminal server.  I'd like the
> > motd/notice to be a little gui window with an OK button that pops up
> > everytime gnome/kde is started.
> >
> > A quick and dirty would be to modify the splash screen, but it wouldn't
> > force the users to acknowledge it.  Does anyone have any ideas about how
> > to tie in to the gnome/kde session start up process?
>
> Once you figure out where to run the script, you can easily put up
> popup windows with xmessage.  For more complex stuff it looks like
> Xdialog will work.  I know there is a KDE specific variation, but I
> can't recall the name.  I'd be surprised if there weren't a GNOME
> version, too.
>
> For a single user you can just put it in ~/.kde/Autostart, but they
> can always delete it.  I'm not sure how you add it to all startups.
>
> Michael

I need something they can't delete.  I think xmessage was the quick
thing I was looking for.  Unfortunately, when the users are logging in,
they aren't using {x,g,k}dm.  The NoMachine client calls gnome-session
or startkde directly.  Some research seems to indicate that I can tie in
to the splash screen start up for both Gnome and KDE
(/usr/share/gnome/default-session for GNOME and dropping a .desktop file
in /usr/share/autostart/ for KDE).

I was playing around with a python PyGTK hello world example and was
making some headway (not being much of a programmer outside of basic
scripting is a bit of a hindrance :)

Does Perl have Gtk or Qt bindings?  Silly question, now that I look at
it.  Does Perl have { } bindings is probably always answered with "yes."
I guess the better question would be, "How easy are the perl qt/gtk
bindings to use?"

Thanks all for the answers and ideas.  If there's interest, I can post
what I finally end up getting to work (once it gets to that stage).

Hugh