[lug] Memory Leak Detection

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Apr 2 14:15:05 MST 2005

> I just had the joy of running into a counter rollover bug at work last week... Timer that runs at a speed that takes 497.1 days to rollover, then... Crunch.  A couple million dollars worth of gear goes out to lunch for an "unknown" reason. Wheeeee...
>
> Made for an un-fun day.  Gotta love it when you lose a Saturday to someone else's bug they wrote years ago... And yes, the fix was released at least a year ago, the customer just didn't/couldnt upgrade.
>
> There should be warning lights and sirens with stories like that one posted somewhere on the "road to sysadmin land" for people actually considering becoming one!  Hahah...
>
> The only good news about being a sysadmin is that I haven't met a coder yet who could release bug-free code.
>
> That's a strange commentary on both job security and the sad state of discipline in our industry.
>
> --
> Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com - WY0X

I've heard said and said myself, "If computers didn't suck, we'd be out
of a job."

It may just be a commentary on the complexity and variability possible
with computer systems.

I like to pretend that somehow sysadmin work won't get sent overseas
because they'll need someone on site to poke the machines, reassure the
exec, etc.

Hugh