[lug] [OT!] Help with rsx/DEC

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Apr 5 14:25:53 MDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:13:23PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> Ken Weinert wrote:
> >This might be a dumb question, but have you tried the -8 option to
> >telnet to establish an 8-bit data path?

Well, somehow i doubt that - after all, we talk "escape sequences" here -
nothing beyond the seventh bit.

> That's a good point, they might have been using the full 8-bits, while
> the other stuff is assuming 7-bit.
>
> >And, a bit off topic - when I was at Kent there was a person there who
> >built his own machine that was all based on 7400 series logic and it
> >had a 128bit wide bus. His PDP-11 emulator ran faster than the actual
> >PDP-11 did :)
>
> Hah, I remember the 7400 series...I'm too old.

Sadly, even the software emulator i'm running in my personal laptop pretty
much outperformed any real PDP11 (not in uptime and livetime - that thing
broke after 6 years of daily use while those PDP's still are up'n running :)

cheers RalfD