[lug] firefox smart bookmarks/keyword fun

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 12:21:28 MDT 2005

> grep -r imdb .   from within /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.2 didn't yield anything
> interesting either.
>
> Does anyone know how I can change the system wide default collection of
> keyword searches?

Well...I did some poking around on my system but for the word "google".
I have the /usr/share/mozilla-<pick your version> directories, similar
to the firefox (I use 1.7.3 but by tarball install not rpm), but this is
shared data and not part of the actual mozilla browser I think. My
mozilla install location was at /usr/local/mozilla/, and it is within
that where I find google listed under the searchplugins/ subdirectory
(there is a file "google.src" there which seems to define the google URL
when google is the search engine). Some of the jar files also contain
the google word. The only place I found imdb was in components/mail.xpt.
I'm guessing if google is your search choice, that the searchplugins/
subdir contains what you need, but not necessarily from the lib subdir area.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net