[lug] comparing libc and the DLL runtime lib in windows

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Tue Apr 12 11:05:37 MDT 2005

Ken Weinert wrote:
> For a project I'm working on I'm using some code found on the net as a
> base. It was Windows-centric, but not rabidly so, thus it was easy to
> convert it. I've been corresponding with the author and he asked a
> question I'm not quite clear on and was hoping someone here with more
> experience in the area could help me out.
>

>>Btw, maybe you could clear up something up for me: Is there a libc.so
>>(an equivalent to the DLL runtime library in windows) or doesn't linux
>>have the multiple heaps problem at all ?
Its been awhile, IIRC windows uses MSVCRT.DLL as the most current
version of the C libraries, MSVCRTnn.DLL for previous versions
(eg. 20, 40). There are also versions with debug info MSVCRTD.DLL.
These applications can also install their own MSVCRT.DLL in the
app's directory.

Visual Studio also had non-threaded vs threaded versions to link
against. I don't know about multiple heaps, but there could be
problems if lib A was compiled for MT/debug and lib B wasn't and an
app used both. The app's compile settings had to match the libraries
it linked against -- /MT required using the multithread libraries.