[lug] k(ubuntu) vs. debian testing

durist at frii.com durist at frii.com
Sat Apr 16 22:57:53 MDT 2005

I'm considering switching my machine from debian testing to ubuntu. I'm
interested in doing this because ubuntu seems to have a nice predictable
release cycle, and also because I'm frustrated with updates in debian testing
breaking things (most recently the mdadm-raid package, which broke things to
the point where my machine, which is set up as RAID-1, wouldn't boot; I
realize I'm running "testing"; I don't really care if some random IRC client
gets hosed, but the RAID boot process???). It seems ubuntu should be more
stable; but is it? Or maybe it's too early to tell?

Anyway, I'm curious about general opinions of ubuntu vs. debian testing, as
well as anyone's conversion experience (software more than religious!). I've
read that it's pretty nearly just changing the apt repositories and doing an
upgrade, but I'm dubious...

I also know there's some politics brewing between the ubuntu and debian
development communities, but I'd rather not get into that...

Dan Urist
--
Dan Urist
durist at frii.com