[lug] wireless internet

Dean Brissinger Dean.Brissinger at vexcel.com
Wed Apr 20 14:28:29 MDT 2005

If you have a supported wireless chip on your dell then SuSE does all
the work for you.  Run yast, go to Network Devices, and then Network
Card.  You'll find all the config stuff in a pretty little gui for you.
Make sure you have the wireless-tools RPM installed first.

Alternately, you can configure it manually by creating
a /etc/sysconfig/network/ifconfig-name file.  It's best to stick with
the GUI for these because it creates them with unique hardware
identifiers.  If you do it manually be sure to pull the hardware id out
of the SuSE hardware list (also available in yast).

You can also get more information on SuSE wireless in the SuSE docs (as
well as information for manual
config).  /usr/share/doc/packages/wireless-tools

SuSE 9.2 was released with a few very annoying glitches in it.  If you
can, run SuSE Update before messing with your configuration.  You will
save yourself a lot of headaches.