[lug] Re: ps on AS 2.1, 3.0

Dean Brissinger Dean.Brissinger at vexcel.com
Thu Apr 21 15:50:39 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 14:07 -0600, Andrew Diederich wrote:
> I've been using "ps aux" or "ps ax" to look at all my processes.
> NLD9 has different behavior than I'm used to, though.  What I've
> seen in the past is only the processes, not the individual threads.
>   This was with SuSE 6.4, RH9/7.x, and problaby some others.
>
> With NLD9, and also the Redhat 2.1/3.0 releases, I see every
> individual thread with a PID.  If I "ps fax" then it's obvious
> that I'm looking at threads, not processes.

	The 2.4 and earlier kernels don't support Posix threads. Sure, each
thread _should_ have the same pid but instead they're actual processes
with their own.  You can find lots about this behavior on google groups.

	As for 'ps'...  Some distributions saw fit to "fix" ps, top, and
friends to display in a Posix-like way.  But they are only hiding what's
going on under the hood.