[lug] Re: ps on AS 2.1, 3.0

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:51:14 MDT 2005

On 4/22/05, D. Stimits <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:
> I doubt there is a way...for the non-POSIX threads they are real
> processes. You might find the "tree display" option of ps useful though,
> e.g., ps fx. I only have 2.6 kernels available right now so I can't test
> it, but I'm guessing threads all show up with one parent process ID on
> ps fx (and likely this is how "patched" apps deal with it).

Ah, I think I'm getting more of the picture.  The app I'm particularly
concerned about doesn't use nptl, so that's why I'm seeing the threads
as processes, since they are with 2.6 kernels.  I'm using
2.6.5-7.151-default right now.

The app hasn't been tested with nptl, or deliberately ported to them.
So, on RH you export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1, and on SuSE/NLD export
2.4.21.  This is how the distro's force the old threads to be used.

I just ran the app without it, and I now only see one entry instead of
all the thread entries I saw before.

That was the missing piece.  Thanks!

--
Andrew