[lug] configuration management

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:27:56 MDT 2005

On 4/24/05, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:
> I've been looking for a package to help with managing my many (10+) Linux
> systems.  They are mostly similar, but of course each there are
> differences with each one.  Some features I want:
>
>   * I want to be able to see how all hosts are configured from any host.
>   * I want to be able to make a change *once*, on *one* host, and have
>     it propogate to other systems.
>   * I want revision management
>   * I want to be able to specify a "base" config file, then add "diff"
>     files to express the small differences from host to host.  For
>     example, my exim4 configuration might be the same except for a mailname.
>   * I want to be able to see every change and propogate changes manually
>     (sort of like unison will let you look at the diffs to see if it's
>     what you want).
>   * It must have a command-line interface available.

Not necessarily what you are looking for. At my place of employment,
we are in the process of implementing cfengine to control multiple
servers/desktops and multiple software levels. dfengine will insure
that what you desire to distribute is distributed when you want it
(automatically or manually). It will also allow you to run scripts
(roll your own) at regular intervals on each host to check that the
system has not been compromised. It does not have any built-in diff
mechanism. Sigh, it's a lot of work to design a cfengine
implementation.

Enjoy,

--
 Collins