[lug] Bittorrent getting lots of bits, but the file fills up slowly

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 18:01:05 MDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:
> I'm having a very strange problem.  I'm using bittorrent
> (btdownloadxxx.py) to get the latest mandriva distribution.  I have
> comcast so I'm getting over 300 KB/s.  Great huh?  Nooooo.

Just curious about a few things. In /proc/sys/net/ipv4/, does file
tcp_ecn show a "0" or a "1"? If it shows 1, you might be seeing the
result of explicit congestion notification running into a broken router.

Also, when you run "ifconfig" for the interface being used, what do you
see for collisions, errors, dropped, and overruns? Those should all be zero.

If the any of the above are a problem, it might not be bittorrent at fault.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net