[lug] Bittorrent getting lots of bits, but the file fills up slowly

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Apr 29 20:54:11 MDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:
[...]
> It seems to me that it must be BT's fault.  BT showed that I was
> getting tremendous download bitrates, and that I'd downloaded many
> bytes, but the actual file sizes were small.

I'd be inclined to say that you can't d/l any faster than you can u/l,
but I don't think that's actually true.  This link has some possible
suggestions you can check:

http://dessent.net/btfaq/#speed

Some of those seem pretty likely to me.

Perhaps too, BT is showing you "instantaneous" d/l rates (it only
averages when data is coming in).  So the packets come in at 300KB/s but
don't come in very often.

Dave