[lug] Bridging netwroks with wireless

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 30 18:13:03 MDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:03:36PM -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> My house has a wireless router (netgear 802.11g) in one room, but it
> doesn't reach every where.  A lot of the rest of the house is wire for
> ethernet, but not the room with the router (which is where the cable
> modem comes in).  I'd like to Have another wireless box in anonther
> room which would bridge between the wired netwrok in the rest of the
> house and the netgear router.
>
> How do I do this--this must be a standard thing?  Is this something
> that all wireless routers do automatically?  What feature do I have to
> look for?

There is a recent standard but not all wireless routers support it.  Up
until recently if you wanted to do bridging, it was easy, but you needed
to stick with the same manufacturer's devices as most implementations
were slightly proprietary.

Linksys for example has always had excellent bridging support, with
devices like their WET11 talking to their bigger routers or to each
other, for example.

I don't know what features Netgear has/claims to have.  Can't help much
there.  ;-)

I'm interested in something here also... it used to be on older gear
like Linksys early routers you couldn't mix bridging with routed setups.
I haven't bought any new gear in a while and am curious if that's still
that way, or if you can bridge and route to the same wireless router
these days from multiple devices.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>