DVD backup [was:] [lug] Robust storage

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun May 1 14:07:20 MDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 02:00:14PM -0600, Daniel Webb wrote:

> I have offline CD backups (every few months) of my important Subversion
> repositories, but the thought of manual recovery if there was any
> significant corruption gives me the shivers.  I also have nightly
> backups to another machine, but if undetected corruption happens on the
> main machine, the corruption will just propogate to the backup.

On the slightly related topic of DVD backups: i just got a DVD burner
installed into my box and want to use it as a backup medium for my
development stuff. All the GUI tools i know will attempt to create
a mirror of the filesystem tree before even creating the ISO image -
that won't work since sometimes there isn't enough space left on the
/tmp devices.
Any program (pref. a console app :-) that can backup a file system tree
to a DVD _without_ creating an mirror (maybe even without creating an ISO)?

 TIA Ralf Mattes