[lug] Bridging netwroks with wireless

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun May 1 22:17:43 MDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:21:24PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:

> On 5/1/05, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:
>   From here
> > just read through the "WDS as a Transparent Wireless Bridge" how-to I
> > wrote in the WRT54G/GS forum and you should be set.  I've been using
> > this setup for months without issues or lockups.

I didn't get this mail from Ken yet because my mail server's been off all day,
but I can't stress enough that you *have* to get the 2.0 version of this
router off of Ebay (ask sellers what the serial number is, the 2.0 version has
serial number like CDF5xxxx).  The version that is for sale in local stores (I
just checked 10 days ago on this) is the 2.2 or 3.0 version.  Now that you can
tell from looking at the box, because they don't want people buying based on
version and so they don't put the version anywhere on the exterior box.  The
only way to know the version is to open up the box and look at the label tag
on the bottom of the unit, so that's what I did.

If anyone actually has a 2.2 version that works with OpenWRT or Sveasoft, I'd
love to hear it because not a single person on the forums I checked with those
versions had a working router.  Cisco should have a class-action lawsuit on
their hands in my opinion, maybe they will soon...