DVD backup [was:] [lug] Robust storage

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon May 2 02:04:34 MDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:07:20PM +0200, rm at fabula.de wrote:
>development stuff. All the GUI tools i know will attempt to create
>a mirror of the filesystem tree before even creating the ISO image -
>that won't work since sometimes there isn't enough space left on the

You can pipe mkisofs to cdrecord so that it doesn't take 5GB of disc space.
I've never done it, but it should work.

Apparently, you didn't get a DVD-RAM drive?  I was just playing around with
the DVD-RAM drive on my new laptop for the first time today, and it's
pretty slick.  I just mounted /media/cdrecorder, then I could do an "rsync
-av . /media/cdrecorder".  It's slow to copy 4GB, but it seems to work just
fine.  You can apparently get discs up to 9GB in size.

Of course, I don't really have any need for that sort of usage, I'm more
interested in using them like floppies to copy stuff to other laptops if
I'm out or traveling.  My test of that wasn't so successful, a friends
PowerBook today just spit the disc back out at me.  DVD-RAM isn't very
common.

Sean
--
 The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done should never
 interrupt the one who is doing it.