[lug] XP floods linux network, ideas ?

chuck morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Tue May 3 08:16:25 MDT 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 10:49 pm, Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2005, chuck morrison wrote:
> > One way that APIPA works, although not well documented, is that if the PC
>
> What I want to know then is, how does a windows only network handle this?

I am also curious about this. I wonder if a win200x server does something to
intercept bogus dhcp requests from XP clients, turn it around with a valid
dhcp response and keep the flood from occurring. If it does... have newer
versions of dhpcd (linux) addressed this issue ? I mistrust MS enough to
suspect another DRDOS/Win3.1 type move.

> Could you get the same behavior if you ran Samba somewhere to provide
> the same behavior?  (that is if you don't run Samba already...)

We do have several samba servers, one as a PDC (using openldap for
authentication) and several just sharing disk space. At the moment very few
winXP pcs are actually members of the domain due to the complex nature of
moving to a domain after years of not being on one.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting using samba as a client, attempting to get
the same behaviour ??? Dhcp and samba do rather different things. Although
they are confused in Windows, in Linux they are pretty separate. It is true
that on XP the flooding is nbns packets. I'll give this some thought...
Thanks.

> > Until we can get all those apps running on linux...
>
> I wish you well in that.

Been waiting a really long time so far ... ;)