[lug] PDF creator ...

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Fri May 6 17:55:58 MDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> You don't say what format your source documents are,

Windows format.  ;-) The problem is a program that doesn't
understand how to allow individual page printing under
Windows.  Screw up a 88 page report with a printer jam, you
get to reprint the whole thing.

We're stuck with the program so my next best idea is an program
that pretends to be a printer but that makes pdfs.  Our HQ
requires several programs so we're locked in for a while.

It's a non-profit organization so there's no money available but
open source is an option.  I wanted something with both Windows
and Linux versions so that as I introduce more open source, they
keep seeing the same stuff.  Openoffice is next to be introduced,
then maybe a desktop switch to linux if I'm lucky.

Some of the behind the scene stuff wlll change as they break down
and I can get cheap hardware.  I'm scrounging now for a backup server.
(to backup the main NT fileserver due to a failing tape drive.)

Mike