[lug] Linux compatible dial-up providers

Ted Logan ted.logan at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:31:37 MDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Elyse M. Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
> I have been using a company called Hawk (or JOI) for dialup access when I am
> outside Colorado. They are getting out of the dialup business, and EarthLink
> (their default choice for transferring service) does not support Linux.

Long long ago (from 1999 to 2001) I had no trouble dialing to
Earthlink in Linux. I didn't expect anything in the way of phone tech
support, but I never had any problems I couldn't figure out.

(The most annoying part was when they started cryptically blocking
outgoing port 25. It took me far longer to figure out what the deal
was than it should have because, instead of returning a TCP RST or an
ICMP refused packet (which would have produced a "connection refused"
error), or simply dropping the packets onto the floor, they returned
an ICMP maximum hops exceeded error, which made no sense. Once I
routed all my outgoing mail through their mail server I was good to
go.)

Speakeasy, which is fairly Linux-friendly on their broadband
offerings, offers national dial-up access:

http://www.speakeasy.net/home/dialup/

--
Ted Logan
Finally-employed Engineer