[lug] fonts under debian sarge

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed May 11 19:14:14 MDT 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I just rebooted my machine and now the fonts are all out of whack (much
> smaller, anti-aliasing seems hosed, etc.).  I use KDE as the desktop,
> but I also use gnome apps like Evolution.
>
> I've tried firing up kcontrol and changing fonts, but that only does kde
> related apps and I have to set them up to 18pt instead of the 12pt they
> used to be.
>
> Then I start gnome-control-center and it changes all of the fonts all
> over the place (the sizes then seem to be truly 18pt, but they look even
> worse than they did before).
>
> Any ideas on what happened or how to fix it?

I'm using Fedora paths, adjust if necessary.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, look for:
Section "Files"
EndSection

Does it contain a FontPath? If so, what does it show...is it "unix/:7100"?

Or is it a directory?

Sometimes when something goes wrong the X server does something
[annoying] and removes the FontPath or adjusts it. Some admin apps also
do this, it's possible one of your control-center style apps did this.
If it is a file list, try commenting it out and making it:
FontPath  "unix/:7100"

Also, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, see if it mentions fonts or font
paths or "xfs" (the font server). Also, check if for any reason your
firewall might block port 7100 to localhost.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net