[lug] Notes from the demos tonight (2005-05-12)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri May 13 09:22:32 MDT 2005

Would have been there but I had to go to an open house - still house
hunting.  What a pain.

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 21:02 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> composite rendering in X 6.8.2 for fully transparent windows.
> Add:
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection
>
> Option      "RenderAccel" "true"

On FC3 (pure, not Tummy's - I didn't install this particular box), the
option line killed the server - it wouldn't restart.  Taking it out the
extension gets enabled but redraws are incredibly slow.  One site I
found said the "RENDER" option (not "RenderAccel") was not needed, but I
don't know if this is related.

I didn't know this was available for public consumption yet, so I did a
google on it and found you also need xcompmgr and/or transset to apply
the effects to the desktop in general right now.  I couldn't find these
for FC3 although Freedesktop.org says they are in the Xorg CVS tree.
Anyone know if these are available in prepackaged format for Fedora?

One other question - VT switching doesn't work on this box.  I have one
of those Logitech internet keyboards with all kinds of extra (re:
useless) buttons.  A Dell keyboard on another box with the same
installation does do VT switching.  Is it possible this keyboard just
don't work with that?  Is there something in the inittab or kernel I
should check for to enable VT switching?  I never looked at this before
- it's always just worked.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |      STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.