[lug] Notes from the demos tonight (2005-05-12)

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri May 13 17:40:20 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 09:22 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> One other question - VT switching doesn't work on this box.  I have one
> of those Logitech internet keyboards with all kinds of extra (re:
> useless) buttons.  A Dell keyboard on another box with the same
> installation does do VT switching.  Is it possible this keyboard just
> don't work with that?  Is there something in the inittab or kernel I
> should check for to enable VT switching?  I never looked at this before
> - it's always just worked.

A fancy Logitech IntarWeb keyboard? :-)

One thing I've noticed with keyboards that share the function keys with
other fancier functions is that some of them default to Help, Email,
Web, etc instead of function key definitions.

To switch VT's, see if there is some mode-switch key on the keyboard,
then try the function keys.

I have a Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set at home, and it
defaults to function keys, but sometimes I accidentally switch it into
extras mode (the switch key is right next to Esc, and me a vi user) and
waste time figuring out why things aren't working.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>