[lug] compact linux distributions

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun May 15 00:06:48 MDT 2005

On 5/14/05, Brian Stiff <bstiff929 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a fairly flexible, recently-maintained
> compact distribution, hopefully based on Red Hat or
> Debian.  I want to build a compact streaming media
> player for the garage so I can listen to my mp3's
> while I twist wrenches.

I haven't tried any of the "mini" distros, but you could try a minimal
install with CentOS and then strip out anything you don't need. Since
CentOS is RHEL compatible, you'll have a distro that is guaranteed
maintainable for 5-6 years. It also helps that it's free as in beer.

HTH,

--
 Collins
       When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,