[lug] replacement for gnome-terminal

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 17 08:57:46 MDT 2005

gnome-terminal on FC3 seems to bog down pretty quick.  I have a lot of
terminal windows open on different workspaces under GNOME and
periodically some of these are used with lots of scrolling - imagine the
scrolling you get with compiling the kernel, for example.  The bogged-
down effect is slow redraws and window movements.  I've also noticed
that scrolling can become affected by Firefox, though I haven't figured
out what the association is.  Some resource is being chewed up and it
doesn't appear to be memory or CPU.  Strangely, this problem isn't
apparent in my gnome-terminal running on RH9.  Maybe its the video card.
Maybe its that gnome-terminal is gettting bloated.  Something aint
right.

Anyway, is anyone using a different terminal program under GNOME?  I
know there is rxvt and xterm, but I was hoping for something a little
more updated.  I do like gnome-terminal's ability to handle non-
scrolling background images (though that is probably what's causing the
slowdowns) because I can tell at a glance which windows are being used
for what tasks based on background images.

I don't need KDE options.  Homey don't do KDE.  :-)  I suppose I could
try eterm again.  But it was pretty slow and buggy the last time I tried
it too.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Democracy is a beautiful thing, except for that