[lug] simple web-based address manager

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 17 14:11:06 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:40 -0700, Rick Casey wrote:
> I am searching for a PHP-MySQL open source app that does a simple thing
> well: manage a membership list. My needs are simple: 1) input forms for
> contact info, 2) connect to SQL db, 3) export a CSV text file we use to
> ship to printers, etc. 4) open source, so I can tweak it if necessary.
>
> I've found so many overkill examples at SourceForge, many of which seem
> directed at "enterprise-level" (suggesting their software is capable of
> handling starship-sized demands, I suppose; but when was the last you were
> on a starship though?) All I need is a simple, user-friendly app that any
> non-profit organization could use. I'm trying to steer clear of committing
> ourselves to a "free" online service like Plaxo, etc.
>
> If anybody knows of anything like this, would love to hear from you.

If you end up having to write your own, one shortcut might be to install
WordPress and write a plugin for it.  WordPress is blogging software,
but it is incredibly easy to setup (5 minutes, max, if you have a
reasonable Linux distro, like Fedora Core 3 or KRUD) and already has
registration features in it.  The plugin would simply be used by the
admin to print the CSV data to a file.

The drawback to this would probably be the amount of registration
information.  There are no fields for street address or the like, but
there is a general comment field (which is labeled "Profile" when viewed
from the admin interface) that could be used for that purpose.  If
you're hacking code anyway, you could hack the db and php to change any
of the multiple IM contact fields to street address, phone, etc.

I suspect other blogging software - because most require user
registration - might also fit your needs, assuming your willing to write
a plugin to dump the CSV file.  If you don't need the blogging feature,
you can just disable all users from posting (and disable comments even),
leaving the admin as the only user who can post messages, files or
update links.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |   Often, when I am reading a good book, I stop
The Graphics Muse           |   and thank my teacher.  That is, I used to,