[lug] simple web-based address manager

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue May 17 14:25:45 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:40 -0700, Rick Casey wrote:
> I am searching for a PHP-MySQL open source app that does a simple thing
> well: manage a membership list. My needs are simple: 1) input forms for
> contact info, 2) connect to SQL db, 3) export a CSV text file we use to
> ship to printers, etc. 4) open source, so I can tweak it if necessary.
>
> I've found so many overkill examples at SourceForge, many of which seem
> directed at "enterprise-level" (suggesting their software is capable of
> handling starship-sized demands, I suppose; but when was the last you were
> on a starship though?) All I need is a simple, user-friendly app that any
> non-profit organization could use. I'm trying to steer clear of committing
> ourselves to a "free" online service like Plaxo, etc.
>
> If anybody knows of anything like this, would love to hear from you.

I think the reason you don't find things like this online is that
they're so easy to write and the authors probably don't think anyone
would want their ugly hacked up custom code.

You could try it yourself.  PHP is easy to use.  All that you really
need is at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/
http://www.php.net/manual/en/
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html

You can find code to read for examples out there on the 'net.  There's
books on PHP and MySQL (sometimes called LAMP
(Linux/Apache/MySQL/(PHP/Perl))) in stores, or the library.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>