[lug] Network woes

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri May 20 14:07:50 MDT 2005

I'm trying to get my home network to work, and I have discovered that either
the Linux kernel or the orinoco driver has a serious bug.  If I start tcpdump
or ethereal, or even just use the network for a while, ICMP and arp stop
working in or out of my router (tcpdump will show UDP packets, and it will
even see that other machines are trying to arp the router, but the router
doesn't respond).  This is true with 2.4.19 and 2.6.11 on the router.  If I do
"iwpriv eth0 card_reset", everything works again.  It's also not forwarding
packets from some parts of the network, but I can't really diagnose this
problem because I would need to use tcpdump/ethereal.  Ugh.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Is it just that the orinoco driver is not
very good?

The router is doing NAT to a DSL modem, and I've disabled everything else in
the firewall.  The oronico wireless card connects the router to the rest of
the network via an AP.  I've tried swapping out every piece of hardware except
the Linux router (on a Thinkpad 600E).