[lug] Samba printer sharing

Mark Sweitzer mark at marksinfo.net
Mon May 23 14:25:00 MDT 2005

I hope someone out there can help me with a Samba Windows sharing problem.

I've set up a new Mandrake 10.1 server, running SMB.

Several directory shares and one printer are being served to Windows-XP
clients, with permissions allocated by user group.

Authenticated Windows users able to see the server share in their "Network
Places", they can access and map directories that are available, and read
and write according to their permission levels.

However, the one printer that's shared shows up as an item to be selected,
but when a connection is attempted to be made to it, or if the Win-XP
computer attempts to install it as a network printer, the following error
is displayed: "Unable to Connect. Access Denied". And of course, printing
to that printer returns an error instead of a printout.

This printer is sharable to everyone in the "Users" group, and that
includes all users installed on the Mandrake server. These users are
logging-in to Windows with matching usernames and passwords.

Anybody have any suggestions for this perplexing problem?

The contents of the "smb.conf" file for Samba is displayed below,

Thanks,
Mark
-------------

#======================= Global Settings================================
[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	printer = LaserJet2200D
	load printers = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	force directory mode = 6664
	encrypt passwords = yes
	dns proxy = no
	netbios name = BLDR