[lug] User friendly TIFF viewer?

Andrew F. Gilmore agilmore at wirelessbeehive.com
Tue May 24 10:44:30 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 10:38 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> I signed up for a fax service which is emailing my faxes as TIFFs.
> What is the best way to view them?
>
> If I open them in the GIMP, each page shows up as a layer in a single
> image.  To actually print this you need to play with the layer
> dialogue and step through the image one layer at a time.  And I'm
> trying to talk my wife through this over the phone--arg!

I've had the same issue with scanned images from my father-in-law.
Again, GIMP turning on-and-off the various layers was the only way I (or
my wife over the phone) could view them.

> I'd like something that understands that TIFF is more of a document
> format and displayes it as multiple pages.  Something I can talk my
> wife through easily on the phone.  Is there such a thing for Linux?

I'd love to see an answer, but perhaps this doesn't exist yet? I've been
watching evince, but since they just added tiff support a week or two
ago, I doubt it will handle it.

Andrew

--
Andrew F. Gilmore <agilmore at wirelessbeehive.com>