[lug] Installing j2se on RHEL 3?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue May 24 12:39:49 MDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:32:23PM -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> Has anyone tried this lately?  Sun ships an executable shell script
> that extracts an RPM from itself, then you are supposed to install the
> RPM.  Unfortunately, RHEL3 has a broken version of less which doesn't
> accept the -1 or +511 parameters, so the shell script broke.  (These
> are deprecated switches that RH in its wisdom decided to remove, thus
> breaking lots of old shell scripts.)
>
> I was able to figure out the script and extracted the RPM by hand, but
> the RPM itself has a shell script the uses "less -1" and it wouldn't
> install.
>
> I have found no reference to this on google.  Can it really be that no
> one else has this problem?

I don't know about this problem (being Debianista) but i'd execute the script
in an environment where i manipulate the path:

 PATH=~/bin:$PATH <shell-or-rpm-command>

I'd put a little shellscript into ~/bin  named less that does nothing more than
filter the offending parameter on then call the real program (with the full path).

 HTH Ralf Mattes