[lug] Installing j2se on RHEL 3?

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed May 25 12:46:55 MDT 2005

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> writes:

Michael> Has anyone tried this lately?

If you're using RHEL 3 you can subscribe to the -LACD channel
on RHN and use up2date to get the java-1.4.2-ibm package.

Michael> Unfortunately, RHEL3 has a broken version of less which doesn't
Michael> accept the -1 or +511 parameters, so the shell script broke.  (These
Michael> are deprecated switches that RH in its wisdom decided to remove, thus
Michael> breaking lots of old shell scripts.)

I think this is an upstream change.  I'm not sure why the Red Hat
build doesn't work around this; I didn't ask.  Maybe just giving in to
inevitability.

Tom