[lug] Samba connectivity question

Mark Sweitzer mark at marksinfo.net
Wed May 25 17:31:10 MDT 2005

I'm using Samba 3.0.10 on Mandriva 10.1.

Directories and a printer are being shared to a mixed Windows workgroup.

The WinXP computers are accessing the Samba shares.

The Win98 computers cannot see the Linux server at all. The server can be
pinged, but all attempts to find it as a Windows share fail, either by
server name (\\[Name]) or by IP address (\\[IP#]).

I've experimented with setting the Samba server as a WINS server, and
pointing the Win98 clients to the WINS server, but it still can't see any
shares.

Anyone got any clues on this?

My "smb.conf" text dump follows.

Thanks,
Mark

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
printer = Laserjet2200D
load printers = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
force directory mode = 6664
encrypt passwords = yes
dns proxy = no
netbios name = BLDR