[lug] adding java to mozilla on linux

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed May 25 18:17:21 MDT 2005

Someone pointed out a nice web site to estimate actual bandwidth of
connections, I thought I'd test out whether my ISP delivers close to
what they claim. Unfortunately, it uses a java plugin, with MIME type:
   applicaton/x-java-vm

Now mozilla has under "navigator" in its setup options "helper
applications", where you can add helper applications for new MIME types.
I also have full java 1.5 versions available on the system (I use with
tomcat 5), including both jre and development apps. No matter what I've
done, I cannot get application/x-java-vm set up to handle this speed
test site:
   http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Part of it I think is because I have no way to know what file suffix to
apply to this, and among the bin/* programs of both the main java
install and the jre install, I'm not certain which to choose...this
point I think is probably moot because every time I go to test this page
it claims I don't have a plugin, rather than claiming the plugin has an
error. It's a bit annoying that I must associate a file name extension
to a MIME type, but apparently that's what I must do.

Does anyone have any suggestings on getting mozilla to work with
application/x-java-vm using my Fedora Core's installed java? Does anyone
know if doing so is a security risk?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net