[lug] Installing j2se on RHEL 3?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu May 26 03:37:05 MDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Has anyone tried this lately?  Sun ships an executable shell script
> that extracts an RPM from itself, then you are supposed to install the
> RPM.  Unfortunately, RHEL3 has a broken version of less which doesn't
> accept the -1 or +511 parameters, so the shell script broke.  (These
> are deprecated switches that RH in its wisdom decided to remove, thus
> breaking lots of old shell scripts.)
>
> I was able to figure out the script and extracted the RPM by hand, but
> the RPM itself has a shell script the uses "less -1" and it wouldn't
> install.
>
> I have found no reference to this on google.  Can it really be that no
> one else has this problem?
>
> Michael

I think someone else also mentioned it but maybe didn't mention that
it's not real easy to spot...

But Sun does still release in a non-RPM format for Linux, unless
they've recently changed their ways...

It's just not the "first choice" from the download page.  It's there
somewhere, if you can spot it.

The non-RPM version is all that I've ever used on any system (RPM-based
or not)... because it can be installed where I WANT IT to be installed,
and as long as the JAVAPATH variable is set... voila!  ;-)

Nate