[lug] adding java to mozilla on linux

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu May 26 14:43:30 MDT 2005

Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> On May 25, 2005, at 17:39, Bear Giles wrote:
>
>> Have you copied libjavaplugin_oji.so into your Mozilla plugin
>> directory, restarted the browser and verified it in "about plugins"?
>

> Except *don't* copy it, create a symbolic link.

Thanks to all who replied, this did the trick.

I'm still confused about something though...what the heck is the good of
having the "helper applications" in mozilla if I can't assign an
application to a MIME type? Do all helper applications also require a
plugin too? Or do they specifically operate only on specific filename
extensions? I'm happy to have the application/x-java-vm working, but I'm
really curious now just what the helper applications were intended for.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net