[lug] printing problem

Mark Sweitzer Mark at MarksInfo.net
Sun May 29 20:03:53 MDT 2005

Hello.

I have an HP LaserJet 2200D printer physically connected to a Mandriva
(Mandrake) box, and the test pages print fine.

I'm sharing the printer via Samba to Windows clients.

This is working fine for the Windows clients, and all Windows apps print
correctly.

However, the client computers are also running an old DOS application
(Quattro Pro). This application doesn't use Windows' drivers, so for
appropriate printing, "print string" commands matching the shared printer
are embedded in the documents. They are then printed by redirecting the
local printer port on the client computers to the shared printer on the
Mandriva box.

I can print fine from Windows, and even from a DOS window with plain text.
But the DOS application I'm using requires "printer format codes" embedded
in the document, and when these jobs are printed, all I get is a blank
printed page.

I've tried changing the print driver in Mandriva to other HP LaserJet
models, to a postscript driver, to raw printing without a driver, etc., but
still only get blank pages.

Also, using the print manager (kprinter) to switch between CUPS or LPR made
no difference.

I've had this working properly with a previous RedHat 9.x box. In that
configuration, I was able to use the RedHat printer configuration program to
select spooling locally, since the printer is physically connected to
"/dev/lp0", rather than spooling via CUPS. Mandriva doesn't seem to provide
this option, even when I manually add a new printer via "lpadmin".

I've also done the following:

-In "/etc/cups/mime.convs": uncomment the line "application/octet-stream
application/vnd.cups-raw 0".
-In the file "/etc/cups/mime.types" uncomment the line
"application/octet-stream".

Any new ideas on solving this problem?