[lug] printing problem

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 30 10:13:08 MDT 2005

On 5/29/05, Dean Brissinger <brissing at kaidok.com> wrote:
> > From: Mark Sweitzer [mailto:Mark at MarksInfo.net]
> >
> > I have an HP LaserJet 2200D printer physically connected to a Mandriva
> > (Mandrake) box, and the test pages print fine.
> >
> > I can print fine from Windows, and even from a DOS window with plain text.
> > But the DOS application I'm using requires "printer format codes" embedded
> > in the document, and when these jobs are printed, all I get is a blank
> > printed page.
> >
> > I've tried changing the print driver in Mandriva to other HP LaserJet
> > models, to a postscript driver, to raw printing without a driver, etc.,
> > but still only get blank pages.
>
> Try using a ghostscript printer driver.  Most of them in CUPS will allow you
> to translate the output before it goes to the printer.  The best way to get
> CUPS going correctly is to use the CUPS gui.  http://localhost:631/

I can't help with the problem, but I read an interesting comment on an
Ubuntu list. The CUPS admin interface is inherently insecure, and it
provides an excellent opening for evil doers to scarf up your clear
text root password. Kubuntu recommends using the KDE print services
instead (not much help if you don't run KDE <grin>). As a side note,
Ubuntu unmodified doesn't even allow root except via sudo su -, and
CUPS admin won't work since there is no usable root password.

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but