[lug] Qwest Premier Anyone?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jun 1 21:07:06 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:12:06PM -0600, Dean Brissinger wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:25 -0600, Matt Thompson wrote:
>> Well, answering my own question, I called up Qwest and it looks like I'm
>> at the 3 end according to a test of the line.  Nuts.  But, the guy I

One thing to remember is that the mbps QWest quotes for DSL is the ATM cell
rate and not the rate you'll see when you push data across it.  ATM uses
fairly small packets, which leads to fairly high overhead, which has come
to be known as "the ATM cell tax".  It's about 20% overhead.  So, that
1.5mbps DSL is actually only able to pass a big over 1.2mbps of data.

After the whole monitor and hard drive fiasco, I'm waiting for a class
action lawsuit on that.

Cable seems to be much closer to quoting you real speeds, at least up until
they upgraded to 6mbps.  Don't get me wrong, I love the 6mbps service, but
I really only see 5mbps consistently.  It bounces around a lot, I regularly
see over 7mbps in a single second, but average tends to be just over 5,
even going to sites that should be able to push it faster like... my data
center.  ;-)

>businesses (in fact, I sell that solution!).  ;-)

Yeah, don't we all.  ;-)  In fact, this mail list server is sitting on
exactly that sort of box which we host.

It's hard to make a case for bringing in T1s instead of just getting
someone else to put up the box connected to much faster networking.
Especially if you don't have 7 days of diesel on site.

Sean
--
 I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
                 -- Wernher von Braun