[lug] Video chat and Linux

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Jun 5 01:53:23 MDT 2005

A friend of mine just told me that he is able to do video chat with most of
his family using cheap webcams and a Windows program called Trillian.  I
looked on the web a little bit to see how easy this is to do with Linux, but
can't really figure it out.  I see answers ranging from easy to hard.  Driver
support seems spotty.  What's the best video chat program for Linux, and is
there anything that I can use that would work with my Windows-using relatives?
What brands and models of webcam (if any) have consistent driver support?

Thanks,
Daniel