[lug] debian sarge has gone stable

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Mon Jun 6 20:27:50 MDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:21:16PM -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
> Slashdot just announced that sarge went stable.  So how do I switch from
> the testing sarge to the stable sarge?  Is it as simple as changing all
> the instances of testing in /etc/apt/sources.list to stable?

More simple: If your sources.list refers to sarge do nothing and you
will continue to follow sarge, but there will be a lot fewer upgrades.
If your sources.list refers to testing do nothing and you will continue
to follow the development of debian at the testing level.

If you follow sarge, nothing will change until 3 to 6 yrs from now when
sarge will be pulled from the repository and placed in the archive of
really old stuff, like slink.

I always refer to debian distributions by code name rather than
stable/testing, etc. That way I can stay with what I know at times
when I'm doing something that I don't want interrupt for a system
change. Surely, sometime in the next decade I'll find the time to
move to the new testing ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net