[lug] glibc regexp bug?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 10:37:57 MDT 2005

I'm helping to debug some software which uses the regular expression
functions of glibc: regcomp(), regexec(), regerror(), and regfree().
These functions behave as expected on older linux releases such as RH
7.3, and some of the current releases of distros that don't update a lot
(not sure which, probably debian). On fedora core 2 and 3 it breaks
(possibly core 1, no way to test).

I'm trying to verify if the regular expression is valid or
not...regcomp() always fails on this expression:
"*". Just a plain old wildcard that should stand for "any number of any
character". Can anyone tell me if "*" is technically not a valid regular
expression? Or is this a bug in glibc on fedora?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net