[lug] logging missing 2.6 kernel modules

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Jun 10 15:35:46 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
> Lee Woodworth wrote:
>
>> I think 2.6 has switched to using /etc/modules.conf for
>> the init time module load. If you manually modprobe the modules
>> and don't get a complaint, the modules loaded ok and should show
>> up using lsmod. The standard place the kernel searches for modules
>> is /lib/modules/2.6.xxxx/ where xxxx is the remainder of your
>> version string from uname -r. Look in there for modules to
>> try loading by hand. Use modinfo to get param info for a module.
>>
> The problem isn't finding the module, the problem is that it won't
> autoload on 2.6. I have to manually modprobe every reboot. On 2.4 I
The module handling utilities changed from 2.4 to 2.6. Make sure to
use the module-init-tools package instead of modutils.

My modprobe.conf is empty, the driver alias stuff is in /etc/modules.conf.
For the sound devices I have:
  alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

  alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
  alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
  alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

man modules.conf:

NAME
       modules.conf - configuration file for loading kernel modules

DESCRIPTION
       The  behavior  of  modprobe(8)  (and depmod(8) ) can be modified by the
       (optional) configuration file /etc/modules.conf.

       The configuration file consists of a set of lines.
       All empty lines, and all text on a line after a '#', will be ignored.
       Lines may be continued by ending the line with a '\'.
       The remaining lines should all conform to one of the following formats:

         [add] above module module_list
         alias alias_name result
         [add] below module module_list

Gentoo has the file
    /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6
that lists the kernel modules loaded at boot time. This is probably
gentoo specific. Search your init scripts for modprobe commands
to see where they pull information from.

NOTE: The 2.6.11 kernel config option
    Prompt: Automatic kernel module loading
     Defined at init/Kconfig:434
     Depends on: MODULES
     Location:
       -> Loadable module support
         -> Enable loadable module support (MODULES [=y])
loaded modules at boot that weren't even asked for, but
existed in /lib/modules/..../kernel/...
This caused problems so I have it turned off.